The SCAD Museum of Art - Savannah, Georgia - 2011 Honor Award
Sottile & Sottile / Lord, Aeck & Sargent Architects with Dawson Architects
The SCAD Museum of Art is a contemporary art museum situated within the historic ruins of the old north upfreight warehouses, originally constructed in 1853, which surround the footprint of the museum expansion. Conceived as a sequence of experiences that unfold to the viewer as the new building and the ruins interact, the building is punctuated by a single vertical element, marking the main building entrance at the intersection of two adjacent streets. This semi‐transparent glass tower, or lantern, forms a beacon of light in Savannah’s west boundary, becoming an identifying landmark for the SCAD Museum of Art and the skyline of Savannah.